Monday, January 7th, 2013...1:28 pm
Workspace | Alyssa Schottland-Bauman of Nourished
The Anthology’s Workspace column takes us inside the creative spaces of some very creative people.
If you’re in Vancouver you may very well have seen Alyssa Schottland-Bauman of Nourished share her favourite healthy recipes on Breakfast Television. And if you’re not in Vancouver, well, that’s what the internet is for. Here, the health-loving New York transplant takes us inside her kitchen and her workspace, which is filled with more greens than most of us eat in a year.
1. A pitcher of lemon water. I drink one in the morning and refill after lunch. I can’t work if it’s not there — water is like my security blanket. Two things about my water: one, I only drink ionized alkaline water and two, I never, ever drink from plastic containers.
2. I can’t live without my russel+hazel metallic gold folders (cluttered space, cluttered mind). The big one holds current client health intake, the medium one holds my journal for even the smallest ideas and the small one holds my iPhone. They keep me organized for my many dash-out moments.
3. Beaded bracelets that my three girls made for me. I keep them front and centre because they inspire me to live my healthiest every moment.
4. My tiny votive ylang ylang candle warms up my space on cool winter mornings.
5. While I am not a fan of desk eating, I keep a superfood snack on hand — today it’s goji berries.
6. Cup of MOMA unsharpened pencils from my sister. Each is inscribed with a famous artist’s quote, but my favourite is Georgia O’Keeffe’s “Whether you Succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.”
A cup of fresh flowers is such a luxury on my desk. I love having just one or two live plants around me while I work.
7. An inspiration board filled with pictures and motivational quotes.
8. I drink a huge mason jar of green juice every morning to get me going. It’s my own Nourished concoction and it changes depending on season. But its base is always kale, spinach, lemon, cucumber, apple, ginger, celery and parsley. I seriously can’t start my day without it. When I don’t, all I think about is where and when I’m getting my fix. Every single one of my clients is hooked on it. Not such a bad addiction to have!
P.S. Get a peek at Alyssa’s latest projects here.
P.P.S. Creep the creative spaces of some very creative people, like Erica Lam of The Style Spy, Niki Blasina of A Haute Mess, and Anya Georgijevic of I’m the It Girl in The Anthology’s Workspace column.