Monday, May 20th, 2013...4:53 am
Workspace | Shannon Molenaar of 8FOOTSIX
The Anthology’s Workspace column takes us inside the creative spaces of some very creative people.
The moment I saw Shannon Molenaar’s workspace on the Steven & Chris Show, I invited her to share her home office with us. It’s so proper! So personalized! In her own words, the Toronto-based interior decor blogger behind 8FOOTSIX takes us through the space, which is overflowing with objets and books and somehow manages to be very, very tidy.
Plus, how pretty is that wall colour?
1. I blog from our upstairs office. I enjoy spending time in here because it is filled with my favorite things – books, plants, art, and my collection of milk glass vases!
2. When I look around, everything has a story. Most of the furniture came with us from our condo.
3. The desk (Pottery Barn Kids), the leather chair (Mitchell Gold) and the two black end tables that hold the colour photo printer are a few of the things we didn’t want to give away when we moved, so we shoved them in the office – and it works!
4. I bought the tallboy dresser from Craigslist. It was a gorgeous wood grain but smelled musty/fishy. So I sanded it down and painted it white. It holds… well… everything!
The picnic basket on the chair by the door was given to me decades ago by my sister-in-law and is now stuffed with felt scraps.
5. There are tons of accessories scattered around the room. There is a wooden fish on the wall from Bilbao, where I spent a summer studying Spanish. There is a pencil crayon drawing of naked chickens (don’t ask) that I made in high school, along with my son’s first painting.
6. Treasures I brought back from Paris flea markets, like my little brass hedge hog, are sitting on the bookshelves, alongside things I found at local thrift stores.
P.S. Get a peek at Shannon’s latest projects here.
P.P.S. Creep the creative spaces of some very creative people, like Erin Shaw of Shaw TV, Erica Lam of The Style Spy, Niki Blasina of A Haute Mess, and Anya Georgijevic of I’m the It Girl in The Anthology’s Workspace column.
P.P.P.S. Know someone whose Workspace should be featured? Send a note to KDundon@TheAnthology.ca